Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Is Anyone in Trouble -- Pray for Them!

“Is anyone of you in trouble? He should pray. Is any one happy? Let him sing songs of praise.” James 5:13


When someone is struggling in a difficult situation, we might think that all we can do is pray. I believe in putting feet on those prayers, but so many times I am just as guilty as most in not acting on the nudges God gives us to reach out, visit, call or write someone. But I want to emphasize that we not overlook the importance and power of our offering and following through on prayer. It is truly the best we can do. We can pray. We can storm the gates of heaven on another’s behalf. They need our prayers right now, so just keep praying!

How many times do we idly comment that praying is “all I can do?” This seems to say that our prayers are a last resort, something to do when there is nothing else I can do – no meals I can bring, no Band-Aids I could apply to the hurt, no actions I could take. We need the reminder that praying is not a last resort, it’s a first response. It’s not the action of a powerless, hopeless person whose hands are tied in every other way. It’s the powerful, Heaven-summoning activity of a warrior who doesn’t want to fight alone. Praying isn’t all I can do, it’s the best I can do.

Are you facing a situation right now that you can’t do anything about? Maybe you are watching someone go through something that you can’t help with. Do you wonder what good it will do to pray? Do you despair of anything changing, or of your prayers helping? Have you, like me, shrugged your shoulders and commented that all you have left is prayer- when really your prayers are exactly what is needed?

Let’s focus today on doing what’s best. Let’s get on our knees for ourselves, our family members, our spouses, our children, our neighbors, our friends and our nation. Let’s focus on the power in our prayers. Our intercession, and nothing more, might be exactly what God desires. Let’s not forget that we can offer the most help when we are on our knees. Psalm 50:15, “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.”

No comments:

Here you will find inspiration and encouragement for your prayer life. Prayer is the great gift of God to us. Make use of it often. It is supernatural lightning in the Book. It is the Holy Spirit partnering with you. It is how you touch the face of God.

Search This Blog